Long back in 1793 a building came up at the present site off Chowringhee between Bijli Talao and Elliots Tank. The Club was originally known as the Fives Court or Gamekhana. The game of Rackets gave way to squash in the 1930s and the Club became the first European institution to open its doors to Indians in 1936 with the election of Raja P.C. Lall of Narayanganj. Mr. A.N. Choudhury soon joined the Club and became its President in 1948. His distinguished son General J.N. Choudhury was a patron from 1969 until his death. The Club, now commonly known as the Squash Club, developed rapidly after 1948. Since then, its popularity has grown by leaps and bounds and has grown in size to accommodate the constantly increasing number of patrons. Today we are proud to be a premier institution catering to the sporting needs of Calcutta’s young, old and upcoming.
The Calcutta Racket Club is the only club in India catering exclusively to the game of squash. It is located in Kolkata, India. It was founded in 1793, making it one of the oldest squash clubs in the world.
If you think the name of the Club suggests a pun on the word racquet, you are far from the truth. The Club derives its name from the species of a bird called the “Racket bird” which used to inhabit the trees around the Club when it was founded. The Club is the administrative headquarters of The West Bengal Squash Racket Association which is affiliated to the Squash Racket Federation of India.
The Calcutta Racket Club, adjacent to Birla Planetarium on Jawaharlal Nehru Road, showcasing seven squash courts, of which two are glass backed international standard tournament courts with the largest spectator gallery in India.
The other five courts came up over a period of time after the establishment of the Club and are located in the main building.
The Club celebrated its Bicentenary in 1993 and to mark the occasion, invited some of the world’s finest players to participate in a round robin tournament. The Club host to all major squash activities and training in eastern India. It was also the first club to host the (5th Asian Men’s Squash Championship) International Squash Championship in 1990. In fact The Calcutta Racket Club hosted the US$ 20,000 Professional Squash Association (PSA) championship in September 2005 and the US$30,000 PSA event in Feb 2008 that drew players from 10 countries.
The J.L. Nehru Road address also has a fully equipped air-conditioned gymnasium complete with hi-tech work out equipment for the fitness-conscious members of the Club.
It is a small and cozy place to unwind after a hard day’s work. We have a very unique member profile. The membership strength is around 550 out of which more than 150 members are active squash players. Each member knows the other and are quite regular at the Club. We do not have many female members but we are definitely open to the idea of taking in more.
To cradle future squash the Club started a National Junior Development Program in November 2002 to popularize the game amongst school children and create an environment for the participants to develop their skill in the game to a competitive level. Qualified coaches impart training at all levels.
More than 400 children are trained at the Club under our professional coaches. We are perhaps the only club that gives memberships to children only and in their names. The only condition is that they have to be interested in squash. This is with an eye to the future. The idea is to groom the next generation of squash enthusiasts.
Our club also has a well-equipped air-conditioned gymnasium complete with hi-tech work out equipment for its fitness-conscious members. more...
Besides squash, the one other thing The Calcutta Racket Club is famous for is its fresh lime soda.
We have a full-fledged bar. After a game of squash there is a big queue in front of the bar, not for any alcoholic beverage but a glass of fresh lime soda.